Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Painting Inner Skins

Huh?

Your reading this thinking, painting your inner skins that must be a typo. Nope, I have the outside of my black droids skin painted and now I'm painting the inside too! If your a droid builder you're now shaking your head asking why, for the love god why?

Because my dome is tinted and you can see inside of the droid. This is what you would see next week at the Comicon.
So mister evil droid that's all bad ass is just made out of thin aluminum and JB weld, that's what you see!. That just kinda of blows the fantasy of the droid and I wanted to make it seem like this droid with built on an assembly line inside the Death Star.
The inside of most black droids, or most in general look something like this without electronics.
I have 3-4 black spray paint cans with only a tenth of the paint left in them. This is a good time to use that up and paint the inside so this droid never lets its guard down. From inside and out it seems to be made by the Empire.
Now with the skins on, the legs on and all the details minus the head. My droid is solid black except for the coin returns on the inside. I like the improvement, it didn't cost me anything. I got rid of the bottom of a few black spray paint cans.
Here I just washed the dome in the pool to get rid of electrostatic debris that were sticking inside and outside the tinted dome. I'm also testing the black radar eye with sticky tape.
Now this droid is on 2 wheels so you can just barely push him around if you are careful. I just bought today 2 new 12 volt 18 amp batteries for him. They fit right into the battery area. I also bought a set of octoports and a pittman motor drive with a wheel to turn the dome. I also put in an order of ankle details and got in on a steel feet run. I plan to put the steel feet on R5-D4 and later paint its feet it has now black and put them on this droid.
Another update I haven't mentioned is I added a wood Large Data Port (LPD) for the black droid and installed it. I've also been working on the MGA waterset gripper claw for the past few days for R5 and might have an update on that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment